Monday, October 22, 2012

Dedication Ceremony in Cleveland

Invitation for Sunday's event
I've been reading thru the Mississippi Chinese Facebook group about this historical dedication to commemorate an important part of Chinese American history in the Mississippi Delta. Growing up in a post-segregated Greenwood in the 60's and 70's; I didn't initially feel connected to the signification of the Cleveland Mission School event. I remembered stories from my friends' parents that many of my father's generation and older were NOT allowed to attend elementary and high schools with their white neighbors (and fellow American Citizens). My own father was able to attend a predominately white high school in Gary, Indiana after he had immigrated from China. However, meeting with visiting doctoral candidate Phonshia Nie (who's researching Chinese America social organizations in Ms); I started feeling more connected to my Southern / Delta Chinese heritage. Along with Phonshia's and some of my former Ole Miss classmates' encouragement, I decided to attend and offered to help document (photographed) the events of the day.
Scenic route to Cleveland
 I think one of the reasons I was excited to attend (and participate in); was that I barely left my family's house in the 60 plus days that I've been back in Greenwood except to go out to the farm and run errands around town. This was the first time I've driven to Cleveland in about 23 years or so. I used to commute the 45 minute drive everyday to Cleveland when I was taking classes at Delta State University in the 80's.
Rolls of compressed cotton outside of Schlater, Ms
The drive thru the Mississippi Delta countryside was pretty nice but I've forgotten how thick the roadkills were on these country highway! (and NO, my California friends, I do not have a shovel in my SUV to scoop up the fresh road kill to take home ... just in case you were going to ask!)
Early Sunday Buffet luncheon in Boyle, Ms
I had RSVP'ed for the meet n' greet luncheon before the 2pm marker dedication. Some familiar faces were already along with newer folks for me to meet.
Some of the early arrivals at Catfish Cabin.
The Honorable Luck Wing and P Nie
It was really nice to meet all the folks coming in all over the country to attend today's event. Some of the folks still live locally in neighboring communities as Cleveland, Morehead, Rosedale, Greenville, Clarksdale, Marks, etc and some as far as Houston Texas, Wisconsin, and New York City. One of the ladies from Texas after finding out who I was, said to me "I know what village (in China) that your mom is from!" I introduced myself to Luck Wing, one of the first Chinese-American mayors in the Mississippi Delta (I think, Hoover Lee of Louise was mayor as well). We had met previously as his son Dale was one of my classmates at Ole Miss and fellow UMACA member.
Good ol' Southern food
The buffet and service was pretty good. The catfish served was really good but I think I spent more time chatting, and networking, than I did eating. I could have gotten more food but fellowship was much more filling and satisfying.

posing with the Woo-Chow family
It was really nice to meet new people and reconnect with old family friends. How sweet it was to reconnect with family friends Joy, her mom Shirley Woo, and finally meet her 14 year old son Cameron.
DSU staff setting up canopy
After lunch, we went out to the dedication site alittle earlier. The Delta State University staff and the City of Cleveland provided some of the support and set up for the event.

Emily Jones (DSU Archives & Museum) welcomes one of the former students.
Randy Kwan preparing the video recording for the event.
Frieda Quon (center) and Raymond Wong (right) introduced participants and speakers.
Cleveland Vice Mayor Ted Campbell address the attendees
Opening invocation by a local minister
In attendances, Betty Wong (Jackson) and Dorothy & Harry Gong (Greenwood).
an estimate crowd of 200 in attendances for both the roadside dedication and museum reception at DSU
former Cleveland students in attendances
Kellogg Wong sharing
New Plaque / Marker unveiled by former students
Former Cleveland students at the Marker dedication
New Chinese School Marker off of Ms State Highway 8
P Nie, Ronald Wong, Fannie Wong, and Lillie Woo.
Frieda Quon and Gilroy Chow
Back on the DSU Campus after many years!
Dedication Reception at the DSU Archives
Full house in the museum
Signing in and getting name tags
Resources
Food at the reception (photos by H.D. Gong)

Food at the reception (photos by H.D. Gong)

Food at the reception (photos by H.D. Gong)
Presentations
Chinese exhibit signage
Mah-jong table  - a favorite past time of the Delta Chinese
War time Delta Chinese heroes

Early immigrants to Mississippi

The trip from Toisan China

Mockup of the Chinese grocery stores

Grocery Store signage

Grocery store signage

scenes and items from a Delta Chinese grocery store

Harry & Dorothy Gong meeting P Nie

former Ms Delta residents reliving the good ol' days

former Ms Delta residents reliving the good ol' days
Reunion of some of my UMACA brothers from my Ole Miss days
Panel Discussion about living in the Ms Delta
Sunset in Cleveland, Ms
Dinner at Papa Roc Italian Restaurant near the airport
classic spaghetti & meatball meal
Photo with the Kwans of Morehead, Ms
live entertainment at Papa Roc Italian

Full house as the conversations continue after the reception.
What a long and full day! I'm glad I came and engaged in the dialogue and conversation about the past and for the future of the Mississippi Chinese community. Lots to think about in the hour driving back to Greenwood afterwards. I spent another couple hours downloading and posting about 10% of the 600 plus photos that I shot during the day. I also got really sore throat from all that talking (in a noisy restaurant), still good times!

-DB-

No comments:

Post a Comment